Week 9

Sophocles I: Antigone

The Odyssey’s Telemahos v. Haemon as Heroes

In my previous post, I praised Telemakhos as a hero. When we discussed in class and everyone disagreed on the grounds of Telemakhos relying on Athena’s guidance, I still disagreed. However, upon reading about Haemon I completely see where Telemakhos lacked. Haemos didn’t need a push to speak out or act against injustice he just did; however, his actions can be attributed to him actually having a father in his life to raise and teach him how to be a man. King Creon gives the order that no one shall bury Polyneices because he was attacking the kingdom. Antigone, Polyneices sister, takes it upon herself to bury him anyway because she’d rather displease a human king than a god (Zeus). When Creon is informed of Antigone’s disobedience he sentences her to death. It is revealed that Antigone is betrothed to Haemon, Creon’s son. While conversing about Creon’s decision to execute Antigone, I thought that Haemon was going to agree with father because he was praising him so much, but then he surprised me when he spoke out against him instead. Haemon’s rhetoric made his intention confusing when he said, ” I couldn’t find the words in which to claim that there was error in your late remarks…Father, your welfaire is my greatest good. What precious gift in life for any child outweighs a father’s fortune and fame?”(685-703). His constant praise and legnthy warnings made me think that he was in his dad’s corner and looking out for him. I think as much as he wanted to speak his mind he wanted to be respectful as well because he then informed his father that he agrees with the town people. Adressing his father Haemon says, “A man though wise, should never be ashamed of learning more, and must not be too rigid,” (710-711). Just by disagreeing with his father’s policy, Haemon turns into a man because he can now think for himself and no longer relies on his father’s say so to judge whether something is right or wrong. This moment is one we never witness with Telemakhos. He always follows someone else’s advice, even when he finds his father, all the glory goes to Odyseus because he kills all the suitors and reclaims the land. I dont know if I would regard Haemon a hero just yet, however I do think that he is much stronger than Telemakhos.